Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

\kə-'mit-mənt\

Commitment: a: an agreement or pledge to do something in the future ; especially an engagement to assume a financial obligation at a future date b: something pledged c: the state or an instance of being obligated or emotionally impelled

About 2 months ago, I made a commitment. I made a commitment to change. I knew I needed to do something and now an opportunity was before me.

Almost 2 months ago, I joined Weight Watchers at Work. Basically, it's regular Weight Watchers but we meet during the lunch hour at work and my company covers half the cost of the sessions. That was what tipped me over the edge I think. I knew all the health and other reasons why I needed to lose weight, but I've known them for awhile and it didn't seem to change anything before. So I decided that I needed to do something differently. Our group meets every Thursday. A consultant with Weight Watchers sets up shop in a conference room at our office. We come, weigh in, and then have our meeting. All told, it's a little over an hour each week. We also have access to their e-tools on the website. Besides having my money behind it, I figured the group accountability would help keep me coming. And it has.

The complete session will be 17 weeks. Today was week 8. Which means it was the 8th weigh in. And for the 8th week in a row...I lost weight! In fact, since the first weigh in back on June 4th, I have lost over 5% of my starting body weight! (Total of 13.8 lbs as of today!)

Because of that, I decided to look up some facts. I found this article (http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-gain-tons-of-benefits) which had this quote: "...when patients lose 5%-10% of their body weight, they lower blood pressure, reduce LDL ["bad"] cholesterol, improve glucose tolerance, and in general, lower the risk for cardiovascular disease." (stuff I'm at risk for) I've also found articles mentioning the lower risk for Type 2 diabetes (which I'm at risk for as well). But you know what else I found? Even modest weight loss (like my 5%) can increase my life expectancy! What better way to honor God with my body than to take good care of it? In my case, that just happens to mean weight loss.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

I think much of it comes down to stewardship. I wasn't being a good steward of the blessings that God had given me and now I have to learn how. That could be the case in many different places in our lives. For some it's their money, for others time, and for those like me our bodies.

After monitoring what I eat and getting out and walking more (Thanks Dan!), the journey has been well worth it so far. Hard, yes, but in my weakness He is glorified and gives me strength. With 9 more weeks left to go, I can't wait to see where God leads and blesses. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, good ol' IPA! I think that sometimes I miss Voice and Diction class in college....

Good job on the weight loss. Can't wait to keep going shopping with you. I won't let you get anything that makes you look like a doily (do you remember the lady shopping for her singles' cruise?), and you know you'll get an honest opinion here. :)

Keep it up!