Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Elementary, my dear Watson!

When is the last time you had someone read a story to you? When you let the voice of a loved one carry you to a far-away (or not-so-far) place? Do you remember waiting in suspense to see what would happen only to be told it was time to sleep and that you'd have to wait?

Last Saturday, Dan and I took a walk around our local shopping center. We had a few errands to run and once they were completed, we moseyed over to the local Borders store, one of our favorite places. Upon perusing their bargain books collection, Dan found a compendium of Sherlock Holmes stories. How could I say no to that smile, classic stories and a bargain book? :) Besides, why else would you go to a book store?

While familiar with the idea of Doyle's stories, I had never actually read any of them. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that, until recently, "The Great Mouse Detective" and an episode of CSI: ("Who Shot Sherlock?" summary here) were mostly what informed my knowledge of the detective at Baker Street. Well, that and the phrase in the title of the post which pretty much everyone knows.

When we got home, I had a tomato plant that needed to be transplanted into the hanging planter so Dan came out and sat on our glider to keep me company. As I worked, he cracked open the new book and began reading the first story to me. Since then, most nights before we go to sleep, he reads to me from the stories of Sherlock Holmes. And I absolutely love it. :) There is something very soothing about listening to his voice as he reads and I love trying to figure out the Sherlock mysteries.

Like most of you, I probably hadn't had anyone read a book to me like this since I was a child. We started out reading to each other in the car to help entertain ourselves during our long car trips over the holiday season. But there's something different about getting all cozy and settling in to listen to the voice of a loved one as you wind down at the end of the day. I highly recommend it. :)

I know I'm also looking forward to doing this with our children in the future. I've already got some must-reads on that list. :) Books are such an important part of our lives and I look forward to passing on that love.

So tell me, dear readers. When was the last time you read to someone or had someone read to you? Do you remember what the book was? Did you enjoy the experience? I'd love to hear some of your own stories about reading with loved ones. :) Happy reading!

Soli Deo Gloria,
Meghan

1 comment:

Taylor said...

So sweet! I read to Lenny sometimes, mostly James Herriot short stories because they are so funny. I can't wait until Waverly is old enough to read long books to, I think my very favorite memories from childhood are reading with my parents every night before bed!