Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Recent Happenings

Much has been happening in life lately and I thank all of you for hanging in there with me on this ride. :) I’ve been busy but I’m glad that at least my weekly Friday posts have kept me posting and in contact with you. And I apologize in advance for the disjointedness in this update post.

This past weekend, I went to the Values Voter Summit in Washington, D.C. with my good friend and Focus roommate, Alisha! :) We had a blast! I went last year so you can look in the blog archives for my summaries from then but this year, I will not be as extensive in my detailing of every speaker as that was too much last year and I never actually finished. Instead, I’m hoping to provide captioned photos and selected quotes from the weekend. Hoping to accomplish that sometime next week so be on the lookout!

We had an absolutely wonderful time. I had not seen Alisha since we graduated almost two years ago! Despite some difficulties getting to D.C. (silly flat tire), we finally got the chance to hang out and catch up. We even got to talk to one of our other roommates while we were together. Saturday night, my boyfriend, Dan, joined us and we went out to dinner near the hotel and walked around before hanging out in the hotel lobby. On Sunday, we rode Metro up to Rockville and joined Dan for services at the church where he and I met. After a relaxing lunch and wonderful conversation, we dropped Alisha off at Metro so she could go home to take care of some homework.

Dan and I continued the day by driving into Washington, D.C. and walking around. Parking near the Jefferson Memorial, we walked down to the Capitol, exploring different spots along the way. I have experienced so many new, previously unseen gems in that city since we started dating and exploring it on our walks. Then we grabbed a quick dinner at Union Station before walking back and spending some time at the Jefferson Memorial watching the planes come in to land at Reagan.

I love getting mail and on Monday, a nice little package came for me from book publisher, Thomas Nelson. If you missed the badge on the right hand side of the page (on my blog site), I am now a book review blogger for them. It means that I can request a book, read it, write a review, and then post it here and one other website. And I get to keep the books! My first one is “Redefining Beautiful: adj. - What God Sees When God Sees You” by Jenna Lucado with Max Lucado. Look for the review soon...as soon as I finish the book that is! :P

The county fair is this weekend and yours truly is entering some items! Previously, the only thing I’ve entered in the county fair was the speech contest. This evening, I will be taking a few carrots that I’ve grown and a rug I made out of t-shirt scraps to be entered into the Garden and Home Arts categories respectively. I’m so excited! The rug scraps actually came from most of the t-shirts I acquired while at the University of Maryland. My mom’s friend is going to help me make the shirt fronts into a “quillow” (quilt that folds into a pocket to make a pillow) but I didn’t just want to throw out all the extra fabric. I found some really easy instructions online to make it that just required the scraps and scissors, no sewing! I finished it last night and can’t wait to see how it does at the fair. I’ll keep you posted!

So that’s a brief snapshot of what’s been going on the past week or so in life. I know it’s not much of a philosophical post or one that required much deep thought but I felt that I had neglected the personal aspect of my blog recently. I hope you enjoyed the update!

Soli Deo Gloria,
Meghan

No comments: