Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sunshine, water, soil....GROW!

The apartment is pretty lonely this week. The husband left for Toronto on business Sunday afternoon so I have some time to myself. I'm trying to stay occupied and thankfully we went to Lowe's on Saturday and picked up some patio gardening items. :)

A couple of years ago, I planted carrots, cucumbers and basil on my parents' deck in window boxes. This year, I decided to do basil again but then I wanted to try one of those upside down tomato growers so I picked a small grape-type variety of tomato to try first. I am actually kind of excited about that. :) Looking forward to some tomato, basil and mozzarella salads.


Above is a photo of my new plant stand that I absolutely love along with the window box with basil seeds. The small pot to the right has the tomato seeds in it. They'll start in there mostly indoors until I have a couple of good seedlings, then I will pick one to transfer to the hanging planter outside.


My husband's one request is that I have some flowers as well. There were already some hooks installed on our patio so I decided I would do a hanging basket. I wanted something that would trail and grow and spread out since it would be the only hanging basket. We found this lovely planter of a light purple flower called Bacopa. They seem to be thriving out on the patio and I love the beauty and spark of color they add to our home. :) I look forward to many spring and summer evenings enjoying our glider and flowers out on the patio.


There's a lot of hope inherent in that little pot. :) Can't wait to post pictures of the progress!

Soli Deo Gloria,
Meghan

No comments: